Clicking on an image will open a new window with a bigger picture.
Thrifty Maryland forebears saved this bridge from complete destruction when a flood swept half of it away in 1889. The bridge originally spanned the Monocacy River on Devilbliss Road, but after the flood the remainder was moved by wagon to Utica, about two and a half miles away, and reassembled over Fishing Creek. Constructed of large, hand-hewn timbers, this 100-foot-long bridge is supported by a Burr arch truss. Patented by the inventor Theodore Burr, this truss combines a series of triangles with a long wooden arch to make the bridge more rigid and thus stronger.
Back to Historic Bridges of Maryland
707 North Calvert Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21202-3601
Main Business Line – 410-545-0300
Safety Campaigns – 1-800-323-6742
For emergencies, call MDOT SHA's Statewide Operations Center at 410-582-5650.
Frequently Asked Questions
Public Information Act